In honor of the Chinese Year of the Horse that began January 31, 2014, I’m dedicating the 2014 Mandala of the Year to the Horse. Each month we’ll explore a trait or symbol of the horse to explore how we can incorporate it into our lives.
In Section 6 we embrace the horse energy of grace.
Several definitions for grace offered by the online Oxford Dictionary include: simple elegance or refinement of movement; an attractively polite manner of behaving; a divinely given talent or blessing.
What do we mean by grace within the context of this mandala? It means to be, to act, to come from this place of our Higher Selves in all that we do and all that we are, all the while living in these human bodies, having our human experiences.
It’s a lofty goal and one that, while we strive for it, raises our vibration and puts us ever closer to a peaceful and joyful existence. When I think of humans who demonstrate this type of grace in our time, I think of Mother Theresa, the Dalai Lama, and Martin Luther King Jr.
Some examples of grace in our every daily lives:
- taking the high road when we’d rather do otherwise
- taking a deep breath, when we’d rather lash out
- holding the door open for someone to enter or leave before we do
- cheering for someone who succeeded at something we wish to achieve for ourselves
- spending quality time with someone in need, being 100% present, when we’d rather be doing something else
- allowing someone else to take center stage
- being understanding when someone lashes out at us, knowing that they are coming from a place of pain, fear and/or hurt
- paying a kindness forward
- embracing our inner swan when we think we’re ugly ducklings
- taking the time to really listen to what others have to say rather than thinking about the next thing we want to say
- accepting people as they are rather than trying to fix them
- being able to maintain our composure despite what may be going on around us
Whenever we struggle with accessing this grace or are unsure what to do in any given situation, turn inward to consciously connect with our Higher Self to ask for guidance. My favorite prayer to my H.S.: help me to see this [person, situation] differently. I always receive an answer; sometimes immediately, other times within a day or two.
Just know, that when we come from this place of grace, our inner light, our inner beauty shines through, lifting us and those around us to an even higher state of grace. The higher we go, the closer we are to peace and joy.
Ponder this as you color this month section.
Maureen, The Mandala Lady
Be sure to download/color the June 2014 Mandala of the Month.