For those of you following along with this year’s theme, section 4 focuses on the “family” category from the twelve categories of shame list created by Dr. Brené Brown. Her research on shame-resilience and vulnerability demonstrates for us all, how and why to live a wholehearted life.
First we need to define family…and for each of us it will be different. We have our childhood family that we were born or adopted/fostered into and the family we grow into as we age, which may or may not include blood relatives or in-laws.
We have a lot to explore with this topic. Here are just a few questions I came up with to help you explore:
- What was your childhood family life like?
- Was it nurturing or dysfunctional?
- Was it fun or painful?
- Was traditional or unconventional?
- How has your childhood family influenced you now as an adult?
- What’s your family life like now?
- Do you have a family of your own?
- Is there anything you vowed to do differently when you grew up? Did you do it? Did it help?
- Who do you consider to be family now?
Be sure to download/color the April 2013 Mandala of the Month.