UPDATE 2/1/2011: My apologies for anyone trying to download this image prior to today. I totally missed that I had uploaded such a large file. A new smaller version (108k) is now available for downloading at the above link.
This is the first of 12 sections of the 2011 Mandala of the Year. Unlike The Mandala of the Month, I leave it up to you to determine your focus for coloring these sections. You can have each section have its own theme or you can have a theme for the year and make each section some aspect of the overall theme.
If you’re like me, you’ll probably want to color this section all in one sitting. I recommend that we spread it out throughout the month; maybe for 15-20 minutes at a time. I find that when I do this, I experience a different perspective each time.
If you’re open to it, I recommend treating the coloring of these sections as a meditation, as a way to tap into your higher self, your Divine Essence, your higher mind, or whatever concept that raises your vibration. You may even want to meditate prior to starting. When coloring from this place, I find I receive wonderful insights.
Suggested Focus Ideas
- How many self-help books to you have on your book shelf waiting to read? Maybe you started some only to be sidetracked by other stuff. Find a book that has 12 chapters and read one chapter a month. For this month, read the first chapter and contemplate what you learned as you color this section of the mandala.
- List 12 issues that you would like to resolve and apply each one to each section of the MOTY.
- If you’d like something a little more random or spontaneous, you can pick a card from a deck of angel cards, motivational cards, inspirational cards, tarot cards, etc and use that as your focus as you color.
- Along the lines of the previous suggestion, you can close your eyes and open to a random page in a sacred book of your choosing for your inspiration.
- Using astrology, “Section 1” can represent the first house, which is the house of personality, how you project yourself out in the world, your personal identity. What do you like about you and/or your personality? What would you like to change? What issues do you have that prevent you from being who you really are and what you want to be?
- Another astrology theme would be to focus on the sign the sun is currently traversing, which this month is the sign of Capricorn. Some keywords for Capricorn are ambitious, conscientious, prudent, efficient, reliable, practical, and patient. How do you relate to any of these words? Positively? Negatively?
Here’s What I’m doing
I pulled out a book I read over 15 years ago that I have yet to fully implement in my life: “Love is Letting Go of Fear” by Gerald G. Jampolsky, MD. As serendipity would have it, the book contains 12 lessons!
In the author’s note section, he ends by stating “Teach only Love for that is what you are.” Right now, today on January 1, 2011, I struggle with these lofty words; I also know that by living these words, I will experience a wholehearted life. Therefore, it is my overall theme for this 2011 MotY. My heart already leaps for joy at the prospect of my working through these lessons.
My intention is to contemplate each lesson as I color each section of the 2011 MotY. The first lesson is “All that I give is given to myself.”
I would love for you to share your coloring experience in the comments section of this post. What, if any, are you using as your theme? How often do you color? What insights have your gained? I plan to share my experience here as well.
joyfully, Maureen, The Mandala Lady