In honor of the this year’s Chinese New Year which began on January 28, 2017, I’m dedicating the 2017 Mandala of the Year to the Rooster. Each month we’ll explore a trait or symbol of the rooster to see how we can incorporate it into our own lives.
For Section 5 we look at the rooster energy of observant.
- Do we ever stop to think about our thoughts and where they come from?
- Do we let ourselves just ramble on incessantly on one thought only to rip it to shreds from one perspective all the way to the other?
- With each passing moment (big or small) are we constantly judging and reacting without any thought of questioning its source?
- Do we take the thoughts, these voices in our heads, as gospel?
- Are we on automatic pilot when it comes to our thoughts and our reactions to them?
This month’s MotY section encourages us to stop putting ourselves in the middle of our mental boxing matches to allow ourselves to be the observer of our thoughts, to “step back” from them, to just witness them without judgement, without reaction, without condemnation like a reporter describing the scene of the action.
Instead of beating ourselves up for our monkey mind, or if you prefer the “itty bitty shitty committee”, we’re being asked to take a more “well isn’t that interesting” approach to our thoughts. Instead of judging them, let’s ask them “who are you?” and “why did you say that?”
Once we call them out on what the voices are saying, we’ll find that they will eventually diminish and disappear…thus creating a more peaceful and observant mind.
“There is nothing more important to true growth than realizing that you are not the voice of the mind – you are the one who hears it.” ~
― Michael A. Singer
Ponder this while coloring this month’s section of the 2017 Mandala of the Year.
The Mandala lady
Be sure to download/color the May 2017 Mandala of the Month.