For those of you following along with this year’s theme, section 8 focuses on the “aging” category from the twelve categories of shame list created by Dr. Brené Brown. Her research on shame-resilience and vulnerability demonstrates for us all, how and why to live a wholehearted life.
So this is an interesting one for me because this fall I start the next decade in my life…60’s. That just seems so ridiculous to me…how can that be? When I look in the mirror my body betrays the much younger age I feel inside.
Anyway, with this section’s topic we take a look at aging and what it means to us individually and collectively. Some questions to ponder…
- how does the idea of aging affect you, if at all?
- do you have people close to you who role model the positive aspects of aging or the negative ones?
- do you ever find yourself negatively judging people who are much older or much younger than you?
- have you experienced others negatively judging you because of your age?
- does your current lifestyle support a longer, healthier life, or a shorter, health-burdened life?
- how does the western “culture of youth” affect your life choices and how you feel about yourself?
- are you resisting the aging process by doing all you can to look younger?
- how does aging affect your self-worth?
- do you wish you were younger or older?
- have you found a way to be okay with aging? [please share 🙂 ]
- do you plan to go with the flow when it comes to aging or are you going to fight it kicking and screaming all the way?
- what are your thoughts on your own mortality?
Feel free to come up with whatever issues, perspectives, and ideas that best help you process this month’s topic of aging.
Be sure to download/color the August 2013 Mandala of the Month.